Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"a farthing is so small that it's only used nowadays by the dwarfs"

From The New York Review of Books/classics/


"We weren't able to insert [this handy explanation of British coins] into our edition of Uncle, but I thought I'd share it anyway. If you don't know J.P. Martin's stories about a very rich elephant named Uncle, this will give you a small taste. And, if the illustrations look familiar, it's because they're by Quentin Blake, who illustrated most of Roald Dahl's books. Here he's integrated what looks like direct rubbings of the coins into his pen-and-ink art."

Sara Kramer, Managing Editor, NYRB Classics

-------------------------------------------------------------

Uncle has his own blog. Here is his blogger profile:

I am immensely rich, and I have a B.A. I dress well, generally in a purple dressing gown, and I often ride about in my traction engine, which I prefer to a car.


Here Uncle blogs about Harry: http://talesfromhomeward.blogspot.com/2007/07/harry-blenkinsop-and-deathly-hallows_20.html

No comments: