Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Big Fat Little Lit


I received a copy of Big Fat Little Lit in the mail. (Thank you, Raw Books and Graphics!) My first impression was that I should rest up before reading it. I felt overwhelmed by so much to look at.

Big Fat Little Lit is a collection of stories and games selected from the Little Lit series. (See www.little-lit.com/ and watch The Hungry Horse in action.) I’d been aware of the Little Lit books, but I’d never read them. I thought they might be just for the comic book aficionado. I'm happy to say I was wrong.

The Kaz Strange Cartoon Lessons are genius. (See Lesson #44 on how to draw perspective--“I don’t care what you say--That’s a HUGE Baby!”)

Many of the writers and illustrators have worked for an adult audience and have a sinister side that’s more than hinted at on some pages. But most of the work is more along the lines of old Mad magazines and exquisitely illustrated fairy tales-- playfully subversive, beautifully strange, and fascinating.

No comments: